Building a House

Once we had all came to an agreement on the house, it was time to start modelling…or building as i liked to say.

I was in charge of modelling the house, and since i had designed it, i was glad of this. It meant that as well as working from my own concepts as reference, i also the house visually built in my head, so it wasn’t difficult to build in Maya.

I began with a cube and worked from there…

I built the main structure and then added onto/built on top of from there, as you can see in the image below, this is the basic house fully unassembled, a roof, balcony, walls, windows and door. I did this intentionally so that i can use these assets to build the neighbouring houses and also give them individual details, so that each house isn’t a carbon copy of the other.

screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-11-37-50

Once assembled the house looked like this, which i felt look very like the drawings i did, which made me feel like it was successful.

screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-11-38-25

I also modelled the swinging seat, however i will be texturing it with other assets, rather than as part of the house.

screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-11-39-00screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-11-39-13screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-11-39-43screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-11-40-27

I then UV’d the house and began the process of texturing, so far i am only at the beginning. Below is the first texture that has been applied, as you can see clearly, parts didn’t apply correctly, and the planks are to large in proportion to the house itself. I intend to have this finalised  and completed by Monday. Once successfully done it will make it easier to create the other houses in the scene at a quicker speed.

screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-11-01-07

House Development

Further development was need in colour and style for the house, so i continued with my concepts…

For these concepts i was mainly playing around with the colour of the house in question, and the neighbouring houses. As a group we really liked the idea of the houses all being different colours, so i began by trying pastel shades such as yellows, pinks and blues, in the next concept i decided to colour the tree in Autumn leaves, then decided to colour the houses in warm autumn colours also, i also played around with the idea of panelling, which i really loved, but felt it looked to victorian for the style/era our story is in.

Since i enjoyed the warm colours i then tried a red version of the house, but felt it resembled a barn, finally i came to the idea of having the houses in warm autumn colours, but having ‘our house’ in a colder blue shade. This would help make it stand out and also imply what type of emotions are inside that home.

In the bottom two concepts i also added a porch onto the side of the house, as Tyrone had suggested it could look like and give us a ‘stage’ for our film, It does look nice, however as a team, we all preferred the porch  at the front of the house, and felt it would set the scene much better.

boston-house

Since i enjoyed drawing the plant pots on the porch in earlier shots, i decided to add some greenery to the walls of the house as well, i think it looks nice, but could complicate the modelling or add to much extra work for the time schedule.

house-foliage

Since we had decided on the film being set in autumn, then started playing with colours to portray this well. For the concept below i simply coloured the houses in warm tones, and then took an image from the web and edited it photoshop, the film itself wont be in this blurry style, but it was a nice and simple way to see how our houses would fit into that landscape.

multiple-houses