One of the main parts of the project is to include vehicles, i decided to model a 1953 Eldorado, I used the images below to work out the shape of my model
I began my car by using the side view image and a cube, i went into my side view and starting moving vertices to get the basic shape. Once i had the basic shape i started adding in some finer details like the boot, doors and rims.
Once i was happy with all of this i decided it might be a good idea to retopologise, so i did that and then fixed any little details i wasn’t quite happy with. Once i had retopologised i brought the model into zbrush and let it change the shapes i had made to give a smoother appearance.
Once i was fully happy with the exterior i began modelling the interior such as chairs and dashboard. As you can see below, i added a wing mirror and added it some front and back seats, funnily enough out of everything i found the seats the hardest to model and keep low poly, i actually re modelled them quite a few times.
I actually really enjoyed modelling the interior and had fun making little details like the radio and clocks.
One of the problems i found quite frustrating was working out how to successfully mirror my model to get an entire car
I then began adding Ai-standards so that my vehicle would look great when rendered
These are reference images i used to model my steering wheel and dashboard. I began adding colour by adding in the colour, like the red in the image below.
Once i was happy i added it further detail such as the reflectivity and shininess of the dashboard you can see from the radiator i added a high reflectivity to it. This begins to make the car look semi-realistic.
Here is my finished dashboard rendered. I added some minor texturing as i added a clock face into the speed dials.
I also added a mirror effect to the wing mirrors, as you can see the car door’s reflection in it.
I added some high reflectivity and specular to the hub caps of the wheels of the car too, i feel this worked quite successfully.
Here is my car at an almost finished state, i hadn’t fixed the windows at this point, at finished stage i am at now i have glass windows that can be seen through perfectly. This will be visible in the rendered images when the car is sitting in the finished set.
When changing the glass for the window i decided to touch up on the model, i resized it so it wasn’t so wide, plumped up the hood so it had rounder, softer quality and retopologized some of the mesh so that parts were smoother and other parts had more definition.